Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

--lua-exec packaging
From: Jacek Wielemborek <wielemborekj1 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 00:04:39 +0200

Hi guys,

As you all probably heard a thousand times already, latest Ncat (6.40)
release comes with the --lua-exec feature. As I already showed with
httpd.lua, it can be used to create some pretty powerful scripts.

The problem is, the scripts aren't currently installed anywhere - you
download a package with the latest Nmap source code, ./configure &&
make && make install, eventually remove the source directory... and
you lose the scripts that are there in ncat/scripts. I believe that
these should get installed somewhere and I'd like to suggest an
example scheme that would solve the problem.

The way I see it, Ncat --lua-exec scripts could install on Unix to
$PREFIX/share/ncat/scripts. This leaves us some room for future
$PREFIX/share/ncat/filters ($PREFIX is usually /usr or /usr/local). On
Windows (though it's definitely not my district, so feel free to
correct me), I'd suggest %ProgramFiles%\Nmap\Ncat\Scripts (and later,
filters).

Later on, I think it would be cool if --lua-exec (and whatever the new
socket abstractions command-switch will be) looked in these
directories for the scripts, so I could just do ncat --lua-exec
httpd.lua and not worry about where it is. It would be even cooler if
it looked at my $HOME/.ncat (%APPDATA%\Ncat?) as well, so I could
comfortably use this feature on shell accounts where I don't have root
access. NCAT_SCRIPT_PATH environment variable comes to my mind too,
but I personally would find no use for it.

What do you think about these changes? (perhaps we should invite
package developers to the discussion?)

Yours,
Jacek Wielemborek