Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Zmap detecting more hosts than Nmap
From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 21:35:31 +0100

List,

We already talked a bit about it on 30C3, but I figured that since quite a lot
of folks weren't there, I'd move the discussion to nmap-dev.

On 30C3, I heard an interesting talk by J. Alex Halderman, the author of ZMap.
In his presentation, he - among other things - compared ZMap to Nmap, pointing
out that despite its stateless approach, his tool actually finds more hosts
compared to Nmap in its "aggresive" mode. His explanation can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3xLY_T-eA#t=32m47s

My question is - is that an intended behavior? I'm asking because it's the
default mode in Zenmap and the Nmap's man page says:

If you are on a decent broadband or ethernet connection, I would recommend
always using -T4.

IMHO it should be noted in the documentation that -T4 gives less accuracy.
What do you guys think?

Yours,
Jacek Wielemborek