Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap -sT localhost showing ephemeral ports?
From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 17:33:35 -0600

On 02/08/2014 04:09 PM, Jacek Wielemborek wrote:
Hi,

Here's an excerpt from my #nmap IRC log, dates are as in Warsaw local time:

<snip>

20:17:03    bonsaiviking $ <ketilmore6>  turns out the nmap -p 1-65000 was
finding open ports by accident because source port sometimes was equal to
destination port. (birthday paradox)
20:17:07    bonsaiviking $ wtf
20:18:58    bonsaiviking $ confirmed on svn r32703
20:19:31    bonsaiviking $ but only with -sT

What do you think about it?

I didn't feel like reading the IRC log, but this seems reasonable
enough... I fixed this problem in raw scans a long time ago[1] (r4368).

I'm interested to know how many operating systems do this with
connect().  How many different systems have been tested?

Yours,
Jacek Wielemborek

Cheers,
Kris Katterjohn