Home page logo
/

oss-sec logo oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: vsftpd download backdoored
From: Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm () debian org>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 18:56:57 +0200

Solar Designer wrote:

Here's a great example of why maintainers should sign their release
tarballs, why distributions should insist on that, and why they should
actually check the signatures indeed.

I think we should be referring to this when convincing people to do that
(I had moderate success so far - some projects started signing their
tarballs after my suggestions/requests, some did not).

http://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.com/2011/07/alert-vsftpd-download-backdoored.html

New vsftpd homepage:

https://security.appspot.com/vsftpd.html

IIRC for such backdoored downloads CVE IDs were assigned in the past
to properly track the status of distributions providing the affected
piece of code.

Can someone please assign an ID for this?

Cheers,
        Moritz

  By Date           By Thread