Home page logo
/

oss-sec logo oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE: Input validation failure affecting multiple KDE applications, as well as many other Qt-based applications
From: Jeff Mitchell <mitchell () kde org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 08:35:23 -0400

On 07/27/2011 04:57 PM, Steven M. Christey wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, Jeff Mitchell wrote:

The Arora and Rekonq web browsers are also vulnerable to the same attack
vector, and other Qt-based programs may be as well. We're working with
the Qt team to help enhance their documentation to warn developers to
take care sanitizing their inputs, but it's not actually a Qt flaw. So
we're a bit unsure how to proceed here.

This sounds like a limitation of the Qt API, which can be avoided by
programmers who are aware of the limitation.  Kind of like how strcpy()
can be subject to buffer overflows, *if* the programmer isn't careful.
Also happened with confusing return values from certain OpenSSL API
functions a couple years ago.  (The PHP_SELF example is similar.)  So,
this should probably get separate CVEs for each application/library that
misuses the relevant function(s).

That sounds good. On the KDE side, this is kdelibs, Kleopatra, and
Konqueror.

If Qt itself contains misuse of its own functions - which happens
sometimes (CVE-2008-5077 for OpenSSL) - then Qt might need its own CVE,
too.

As far as I'm aware Qt itself is not affected, but we've not done an
exhaustive analysis.

Thanks,
Jeff

  By Date           By Thread