Home page logo
/

oss-sec logo oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Malicious devices & vulnerabilties
From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel () suse de>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 14:57:37 +0100

Alistair Crooks wrote:
On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 03:48:20AM +0800, Eugene Teo wrote:
On 01/08/2012 07:19 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
I am wondering where to draw the line.  Should such device drivers
be considered vulnerable or not?  Thanks.

I think they should be considered vulnerable.  Some applications need
some robustness to attacks even from the local console (e.g., student
computer rooms).

USB is also a popular transport in many air-gapped environments.

I would consider them vulnerable with low security impacts. If you are
fixing such issues, do post them to the list.

One very interesting datapoint here is Antti Kantee's rump subsystem
in NetBSD

      http://www.netbsd.org/docs/rump/
      http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/runnable_userspace_meta_programs_in

which allows for userspace-mounting of devices and filesystems
thereon.  Unknown provenance USB sticks are one of the use cases
mentioned.

Nice. Using fuse for mounting hot plugged devices where performance
isn't a priority anyways is what I dream about sometimes too :-)
I wonder how hard it would be to create some glue code and re-use the
existing kernel fs drivers 1:1.

cu
Ludwig

--