Home page logo
/

pauldotcom logo PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Creating usernames using Google and Linkedin
From: mike.patterson at unb.ca (Mike Patterson)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:45:53 -0400

Mike Patterson wrote on 6/12/09 12:20 PM:
Jason Wood wrote on 6/12/09 2:08 AM:
The only real defense I can think of against this is to make sure usernames
at your organization are not based on their names.  I know from experience
that people will absolutely HATE it, but it would work.

And don't tie email addresses to those userids either.  Especially if
people post to mailing lists with public archives and such.

ps, tried it against my own org, and it didn't actually do very well,
although I recognized a lot of the names it was trying.

Is our org's default of first initial-middle initial-last name very
unique?  If not, you might try putting that algorithm in.  (And what do
we do for name collisions?  Put a number in the middle, so like
ja34bloggins.)  Or I could send a patch.  ;)

Mike

  By Date           By Thread