Home page logo
/

pauldotcom logo PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Getting Your Start Because You Got Hacked
From: doj at primeinfosec.com (Dave Ockwell-Jenner)
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 16:36:44 -0400

My name is Dave. And I'm a security professional.

It all started many years ago. However, unlike many of you in
InfoSecPro's Anonymous, it didn't start with my system getting hacked.
It started with the need to complete my studies, but at the same time,
enjoy extended time to pursue my passion for programming.

You see, as a budding Electronic Engineer one thing I got to know well
was running computer models of terribly exciting things such as
electromagnetic interactions. The trouble with this? It took a long time
to perform the computation necessary, especially with a school of
several hundred all doing something similar on a server with the
processing power of today's iPhone. And so it became my driving desire
to find out how to convince this pocket-calculator of a server to finish
up my computations ahead of everyone else.

To cut a long-story short, my project was completed many days ahead of
everyone else. This gave me lots of time to coding the latest great
Amiga demo (my vice at the time).

The only trouble was... the computer security team (really just savvy
sysadmins of the day) figured out what I'd done and dispatched one of
their own to have a little 'chat' to me. Over a beer or 10, we mutually
reached the conclusion that my talents would likely be better used for
social good, rather than accelerated project completion. And so, I
helped them out on occasion, in return for continuing my studies.

Thank you to 'I.S. and D.D.' at Bath University for keeping me on the
straight and narrow and giving me a shot at an awesome career.

My name is Dave. And I'm a security professional.

Paul Asadoorian wrote:
All:

I'd like to start a new thread where we all share our experiences on how
we got into computer security.  Specifically I want to hear about people
whose boxes got hacked, and sparked a life-long career in infosec.

I may use your story in an upcoming piece I am working on, if I do I
will contact you off-list for permission and such.

Larry, I know you got a good story here ;)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Paul

  By Date           By Thread