Home page logo
/

pen-test logo Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Black ICE
From: "Lashley, Bryan" <bryanl () EACIFS COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 08:30:07 -0500

You can check out the Network Ice web site at
http:\\www.networkice.com

I use Black Ice. Its basically a personal firewall package.  All the info
you need is on the web site and they do seem to update the software from
time to time. I have used it for about 4-6 months and there has been a
update like every month.

The way I use it is to see exactly what is happening on the external NIC. I
also use MS Proxy 2 for packetfiltering but looking thru MS Proxy logs for
"unusual behavior" can be dull as we all know. BlackIce tells me exactly
what happens and what time and if I need to go to Proxy/PacketFilter logs
looking for something I know what time and basically what to look for. It
has opened my eyes to the amount of port scans, sub zero probes, BO Pings
that come across my little area of cyberspace.