Home page logo
/

pen-test logo Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Black ICE Thread is dead
From: Alfred Huger <ah () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:26:27 -0700

Ok, the thread is dying for two reasons. First and most importantly. Most
people here are missing a very crucial point. The version of Black ICE is
which you are all discussing is their HOME USER version. It's NOT meant
for commercial deployment, if you are using it as such you should not be.

The only reason I let this thread through was becasue I assumed we were
talking about the commercial version of their software. When I finally
realized we were discussing the $45 version of their home user software I
became a little embarrased and actually downloaded it for a look at home.

To summarize, the tool is written for home users not commercial
deployment. I suspect like any ids it has false positives and sundry other
problems associated with nids. However, I have ran it for about 24 hours
now and I pretty impressed with the testing I have been doing.

Secondly the thread is dying because some people are just getting nasty
about it. What is it that makes people lose all sense of accountability
when they get behind a keyboard?

Cheers,
-al

Alfred Huger