Home page logo
/

pen-test logo Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: cracking cisco passwords
From: "Jason Witty, CISSP" <jason () wittys com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:42:07 -0500

Althogh I've never personally tried it, I hear that you can run Jack the Ripper on Cisco type 5 passwords by putting the hash into a file that resembles /etc/shadow:

<Begin JtR Passwd Shadow File>

root:$1$6Je2$MurE4FTzoZjQShRW4Ui9H0:::::

<End JtR Passwd Shadow File>

Set that up, run Jack the Ripper on it, and it should work.... Hope this helps.

Jason

Jason binger wrote:

I am currently performing a penetration test and
managed to pull down the config using a HTTP
vulnerability in the cisco interface.

How do I crack the following password gained from the
following line of the config?

enable secret 5 $1$6Je2$MurE4FTzoZjQShRW4Ui9H0
(the password has been changed)

Jason

http://personals.yahoo.com

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/

  By Date           By Thread