Home page logo
/

pen-test logo Penetration Testing mailing list archives

potential fax server security issues?
From: "Maarten" <maartenh () phreaker net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:48:52 +0100

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you has experience in testing fax servers. I am
looking for some insides on potential vulnerabilities on the modem side of a
fax server.
Could an attacker for instance (potentially):
- Discover the fax server using a war dialler (yes)
- Connect to the fax server using his modem (yes)
- Initiate some kind of overflow on the fax server software after the modem
connection has been established, gaining a shell on the system????

Has anyone been looking into this kind of stuff? Am I being overly paranoid
at this point?

thanks!
Maarten