Home page logo
/

pen-test logo Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: AS400 telnet traffic
From: "Martin A. Rubio" <mrubio () securetech com co>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:00:39 -0500

Hi,

Use EBCDIC ..... In ethereal, for example, select a packet of the telnet transmission and right-click on it, selecting "Follow TCP Stream ...", then select EBCDIC from the bottom to see plain characters of the telnet session .....

Regards,

Martin

--
Martin A Rubio, IAM, IEM, OPSA
SecureTech Labs

======================================

gamgamus () yahoo com wrote:

Hello,

I have captured some AS400 telnet traffic with tcpdump on port tcp 23.

It seems to be encoded in some way, because I only can see a few initial cleartext words, like:
IBMRSEED, KBDTYPE, CODEPAGE, IBM-3477. The following stream of words are unreadable with encoding or chiper.

When I see the dump with Ethereal, the decoded data are like:

\000\r\022\240\000\000\004 and goes on...

Does anyone known how to decode this capture to get the cleartext form?

Thanks in advance,

Gam.

Concerned about Web Application Security? Why not go with the #1 solution - Cenzic, the only one to win the Analyst's Choice Award from eWeek. As attacks through web applications continue to rise, you need to proactively protect your applications from hackers. Cenzic has the most comprehensive solutions to meet your application security penetration testing and vulnerability management needs. You have an option to go with a managed service (Cenzic ClickToSecure) or an enterprise software (Cenzic Hailstorm). Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can help you: http://www.cenzic.com/news_events/wpappsec.php And, now for a limited time we can do a FREE audit for you to confirm your results from other product. Contact us at request () cenzic com for details.

--
Martin A Rubio, IAM, IEM, OPSA
Gerente General