Home page logo
/

pen-test logo Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: PCI Compliance (Vulnerability Scans)
From: "David M. Zendzian" <dmz () dmzs com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:37:37 -0500

Also for your internal scanning, for anyone who is not already familiar
with inprotect, it is a nice open-source web interface for running and
reporting on nmap & nessus scans, and they are even getting some decent
trending reports too. (http://inprotect.sourceforge.net)

David

bf wrote:
As others have stated there are two needs that must be met, internal
and external scans.

We use Control Scan for an external scan vendor (www.controlscan.com),
it's cost effective and they really help you resolve any false
positives that may occur. We dropped our initial external scan vendor
because they insisted on arguing the point on a series of false
positives (even after we provided documentation and proof confirming
the false positives). The FP were causing our scans to have a status
of "Failed" which screws your PCI compliance an audit time. (note: I
don't care whether you use them or not I'm just relating my experience
with them.)

For internal scanning I use a scheduled nmap scan (cron job from a
Linux machine). It's free and it works for me. I don't need a full
blown "vulnerability scanner" on the LAN as I have other layered
controls in place and a lot of that information would be redundant.

YMMV.