Home page logo
/

pen-test logo Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: identifying images in a binary
From: Omar Herrera <oherrera () prodigy net mx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:09:16 -0600

Hi,

Try using file header extensions
(http://www.garykessler.net/library/file_sigs.html) + regular expressions
(e.g. grep). That might do the trick.

Note however that many fingerprint devices don't work with complete images
of fingerprints but rather with minutiae data obtained from on-device
processing of the image. Therefore, you might never see an image of a
fingerprint being transferred from the device but something like a hash of
the minutiae.

Also, many vendors use proprietary file formats to save/and transfer data.
If your device complies with some standards might want to check them first
(e.g. NIST's CBEFF).

Hope this helps,

Omar Herrera