Home page logo
/

pen-test logo Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Disclosure of vulns and its legal aspects...
From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 30 May 2007 18:50:24 -0000

First, I fully agree that you should dump them the information anonymously and then walk away.

But...yup, there's a but.

If you were reporting this to me, I'd likely be just a teeny tiny bit curious about you. And chances are pretty good
that you've left some tracks in my logs, especially if you were making interesting page calls or posts. Or some manager
may ask his team, "Can we check to see if this has been exploited and track them down?" Your hits will be part of that
investigation.

While I agree, anonymous is great, if you've not maintained that anonymity in your testing, at least be aware you can
still get into some trouble. This is one of those cases I might suggest tabling your findings and chalking it up as a
learning experience on multiple levels.

<- snip ->