Home page logo
/

pen-test logo Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: My Frustrations
From: H D Moore <sflist () digitaloffense net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:01:26 -0600

On Wednesday 17 December 2008, Adriel T. Desautels wrote:
I recently wrote this blog entry and wanted to get some comments from
readers of this list. I'm frustrated with the caliber of the people
that are offering security services and posing as experts, thats the
subject of the post. Please comment, insult, whatever... I'm
interested.

I agree with it for the most part - half the questions posed to this list
would immediately disqualify the person as an expert, let alone a
professional. The experienced folks tend to just post announcements or
reply back to the former group. I would love to see this list turn back
into real discussions of pen-testing challenges, but publicly asking for
help on a job as reputation-centric as pen-testing carries a stigma of its
own. The last thing you want a potential client to see is your lead pen-
tester asking for help on a SQL injection vulnerability.

I really don't see a way forward.

-HD

Security Trends Report from Cenzic
Stay Ahead of the Hacker Curve!
Get the latest Q2 2008 Trends Report now

www.cenzic.com/landing/trends-report