mailing list archives
CFP uCon Security Conference 2009 - Recife, Brazil
From: uCon Security Conference <cfp () ucon-conference org>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:21:01 -0300
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION uCon 2009, 2nd edition
Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil
[ - Introduction - ]
uCon will be a totally informal and non-profit conference taking
place in Recife, Brazil, in 28th of February 2009 -- three days after
the best street carnival ever (also known as the rehearsal of the end of
The conference aims to bring together academics, hackers and information
security enthusiasts to share cutting-edge ideas and thoughts about
their latest developments and techniques in the field. Attendees will
have the opportunity to network with like-minded people during social
events, such as lunch break and aftercon party and during the capture
the flag competition.
[ - The venue - ]
The conference will be held at Jardins Bar e Restaurante, one of the
city's most famous clubs. Its infrastructure includes a very comfortable
ballroom with capacity for up to 500 people.
[ - Who? - ]
The usual gang of cretins, the usual suspects.
[ - Topics - ]
uCon committee gives preference to lectures with practical
demonstration. The conference staff will try to provide every equipment
needed for the presentation in the case the author cannot provide them.
The following suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
- General system exploitation techniques, vuln-dev and shellcoding
- Web application hacking
- Phone phreaking
- Fuzzing and application security test
- Hardware hacking, embedded systems and other electronic devices
- Mobile devices exploitation, Symbian, P2K and bluetooth technologies
- Analysis of virus, worms and all sorts of malware
- Reverse engineering
- Security in Wi-Fi and VoIP environments
- Information about smartcard and RFID security and similars
- Technical approach to alternative operating systems
- Denial of service attacks and/or countermeasures
- Techniques for development of secure software and systems
- Security in SCADA and "obscure" environments
- Information about satellites, GPS and stuff alike
- Lockpicking, trashing and urban exploration
- Internet, privacy and Big Brother
- Information warfare and industrial espionage
[ - Costs - ]
uCon staff tried to keep an affordable price for attendees and the
early bird entry price is R$ 60. Registration on-site will cost R$ 80.
Lunch, free pass to the aftercon party in Jardins club and access to
the workshops are included within the ticket price.
[ - Deadlines and submissions - ]
Deadline for proposal submission: 25th of January 2009
Deadline for acceptation: 5th of February 2009
Send your proposal to cfp () ucon-conference org and make sure to provide
along with your submission the following details:
- Speaker name or handle
- A short biography of the presenter
- A brief description about your talk
- Estimated time-length of presentation
- Whether you need visa to enter Brazil or not
- Any technical requirements for your lecture
Unlike the past edition, when speakers could choose how many minutes of
presentation time they needed, this time we will have pre-determined
time slots of 45 minutes and a block of 5 minutes lightning talks where
you can just step up the mic and say whatever you want to say.
Preferrable file format for papers and slides are PDF. If you feel old
school enough you can submit them in TXT as well.
Speakers are asked to, but not obligated, hand in slides used in their
The lectures will be given in English or Portuguese.
NOTE: Bear in mind if your presentation involves advertisement of
products, services or any kind of sales pitches, please do not submit.
[ - Information for speakers - ]
Speakers' privileges are:
- Free pass to the conference
- 15 minutes of fame and glory (just to prove Andy Warhol was right)
- Heavy amounts of alcohol, including caipirinha and assorted booze
- Tour to Porto de Galinhas and other paradise beaches in south shore of
- All the parties money can buy
- We will try our best to cover travelling costs up to USD 750
[ - Other information - ]
For further information please check out our web site
http://www.ucon-conference.org it will be updated with everything
regarding the conference.
To speak at uCon 2009, send your proposal to cfp () ucon-conference org
Orgazining committee, uCon Security Conference
This list is sponsored by: Cenzic
Security Trends Report from Cenzic
Stay Ahead of the Hacker Curve!
Get the latest Q2 2008 Trends Report now
- CFP uCon Security Conference 2009 - Recife, Brazil uCon Security Conference (Dec 31)