Home page logo
/

pen-test logo Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Wireless keyboard security?
From: natronicus <natronicus () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:59:43 -0500

Additionally, there was a presentation at Defcon last year where the
presenter demonstrated how to reverse engineer an example rf
controlled wireless keyboard with $100 of equipment off of ebay.

I just visited the defcon media archives but couldn't find his
presentation.. maybe it was Blackhat 07 and not Defcon?  It was a
small group of us in there; couldn't have been more than 20 people
attending the talk.

Anyway, since I can't find his presentation, his process was:

- Monitor the rf frequencies and dump them into software to analyze
- Figure out what is a 1 and what's a 0
- Guess the packet structure (header + payload + footer)
- Monitor payloads generated by using the device and generate a translation map

He found that all of the rf wireless devices he tested used
proprietary protocols with no encryption.  It was simple to deduce the
protocol and command lists, making it possible to inject any command
into the receiver and monitor all traffic.

Bluetooth has its issues, but at least it's a known protocol that's
very difficult to sniff.  Home grown protocols always make me twitchy.

natron

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Sat Jagat Singh