Home page logo
/

pen-test logo Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Nessus, Harmful?
From: John Jasen <jjasen () realityfailure org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:28:15 -0500

Zaki Akhmad wrote:
Hello,

I want to do a nessus scanning, but before I'd like to know is it
nessus scanning harmful? Because I don't want to make the server down.

While a full nessus scan may crash services or your system, you may want
to consider that if you can do it legitimately, there's a chance the bad
guys can do it as well.

Of course, make sure you have all the appropriate permissions before
scanning.

--
-- John E. Jasen (jjasen () realityfailure org)
-- "Deserve Victory." -- Terry Goodkind, Naked Empire

Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. IACRB CPT
and CEPT certs require a full practical examination in order to become certified.

http://www.iacertification.org