Home page logo
/

Politech mailing list archives

FC: Egghead responds to politech post about eggheadsucks.com
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 14:23:04 -0500

***********
Previous politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01714.html
***********

From: Joanne Sperans Hartzell <jhartzell () egghead com>
To: "'declan () well com'" <declan () well com>
Subject: Your Politech Column re: the lawsuit against Eggheadsucks.com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:17:11 -0800

Hello Declan. I'm writing to clarify an item that just appeared in your
recent column, "Egghead critic wins court fight to keep eggheadsucks.com'.
This is utterly false.

I'm afraid that "Sonny" has mislead you with regard to the lawsuit.  We
never tried to shut down his site, as we believe firmly in the First
Amendment. The action we took against was specific to his publishing
confidential, proprietary Egghead.com information on his site and refusing
to remove it.  The lawsuit simply asked that he remove the proprietary
information and provide us with the source of the material. When he did in
fact remove the material in question, we dropped the lawsuit - he did not
have it 'tossed out of California' as he claims. You might want to
doublecheck claims of this nature before publishing such controversial and
inaccurate reports.

Kind regards,

Joanne

Joanne Sperans Hartzell
Vice President, Corporate Communications
Egghead.com, Inc.
650-470-2713 voice
650-473-6990 fax