Home page logo
/

Politech mailing list archives

FC: Motorola scheme uses GPS to disable grey-market imports
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:26:57 -0500

[Forwarded from IP. It seems to me that not only is this scheme a bad idea in this particular area, but it is a bad idea in general. I assembled my Canon EOS camera system from mostly grey-market parts, bought legally from B&H in NYC, a large and very reputable retailer. I've found grey-market parts to be about 10-15 percent cheaper and identical quality. The general case, it strikes me without thinking about this overmuch, is that grey market imports encourage arbitrage and price competition. Of course Motorola should have the right to do this -- but we don't have to do anything to encourage 'em, and we should have the right to try to disable their GPS receivers. :) --Declan]

********

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:41:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Stanton McCandlish <mech () eff org>

This is beyond amazing.  It's an anti-parallel import scheme that raises a
lot of the same issues as all this DRM business, plus a slew of privacy
concerns.  You may be saying goodbye to your imported European region-free
DVD player, your Japanese SDMI-free MP3 player, etc., real soon now.

http://www.newscientist.com/dailynews/news.jsp?id=ns9999452

Motorola wants to pork your consumer rights, because "[i]t is often
desirable to control the marketing or use of products differently in
different areas".

I'm apoplectic at the sheer chutzpah.

--
Stanton McCandlish      mech () eff org       http://www.eff.org/~mech
Online Communications Director, Electronic Frontier Foundation