Home page logo
/

securecoding logo Secure Coding mailing list archives

Flame provides an opportunity
From: Gary McGraw <gem () cigital com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 08:36:57 -0400

hi sc-l,

Whenever a computer security disaster story breaks (pretty much the only kind of coverage cyber security can expect in
the major press) we have an opportunity (while people are paying attention) to talk about how to avoid future
disasters.  If we're lucky, we can leverage "the NASCAR effect"
<http://www.darkreading.com/security/application-security/208803559/if-you-build-it-they-ll-crash-it.html> to discuss
software security.

In my view, the only way we can get in front of modern malware is by building security in.  I wrote about that for
SearchSecurity in May: Eliminating badware addresses malware problem
<http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/opinion/Gary-McGraw-Eliminating-badware-addresses-malware-problem> (May 2012).

Some of the Flame dustup in the press this week riffed on that idea and even mentioned the BSIMM (in the WSJ CIO
Journal):
http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2012/05/29/cios-should-see-flame-as-a-call-to-arms/?KEYWORDS=hickins

Also check out a related radio segment from Marketplace (aired on NPR):
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/flame-malware-burns-through-cyberspace

It actually works to use the NASCAR effect to get our message out!

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet
blog www.cigital.com/justiceleague