Home page logo
/

snort logo Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] New Classification System Proposal
From: Paul Halliday <paul.halliday () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 17:15:18 -0400

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com> wrote:
All,

(Apologize in advance for cross-posting)
Have some news to share from our side.

After discussion internally, we (Sourcefire) also like this format and are going to update the official shipping
snort.conf and the VRT rule sets to it as well.  We are creating a bug internally to do this, as we speak.

Just a couple items however:
1.  We've already started writing the new classification.conf file (with new priorities and descriptions).  If you
have started on this, we'll be glad to use it, but we'll keep writing until we are told differently.
2.  We don't use "_", so we'll translate those over to "-".
3.  We also don't use uppercase in the keywords, so we'll translate those to lower case.

For example: Exploit-SQL_Injection will become exploit-sql-injection

So the same, but different :)

I think that all lowercase makes sense. I also think that an
underscore makes sense. Without it, more logic will be required when
trying to group.