mailing list archives
Re: Snort 22.214.171.124 Now Available
From: vincent () cojot name
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:40:25 +0100 (CET)
On Tue, 28 Dec 2010, James Kaufman wrote:
I think the issue here is that the documentation says to use 'ipvar',
rather than 'var'. Yet ipvar is invalid in the snort.conf if you don't
That just seems wrong somehow. Why is the parser for ipv4 installations
unable to understand the ipvar token?
Yes, I agree with you James.
Also, I think, from an outsider's point of view, there is a total
of 4 different cases to be handled:
- A) Non-IPV6-enabled snort + snort.conf with tokens like 'var HOME_NET..'
* This works by default but the config file's syntax is wrong when
IPV6 is enabled (ipvar should be used instead). I guess most users
are running that kind of config.
- B) Non-IPV6-enabled snort + snort.conf with tokens like 'ipvar HOME_NET..'
* non-IPV6 snort could be modified to treat these like 'var' since
we already know that they are related to networks..
- C) IPV6-enabled snort + snort.conf with tokens like 'ipvar HOME_NET..'
* Again, this works by design/default. I guess most users with an
IPV6 snort are running this kind of config.
- D) Non-IPV6-enabled snort + snort.conf with tokens like 'var HOME_NET..'
* This is, IMHO, the most diffult case to handle. This case looks
like config rules from an older snort but it could also be a
configuration error (i.e: the user meant a 'var' but she used an
'ipvar', or the opposite.
So in order to make things easier for the users, something would need to
be implemented for cases B) and D) (for D), perhaps snort could simply
abort and warn the user if a 'var' looks like what should be an 'ipvar').
Of course, that's just my 2c, I have very very limited knowledge of how
snort actually works...
Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers
to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and,
should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database
without downtime or disruption
Snort-users mailing list
Snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Go to this URL to change user options or unsubscribe:
Snort-users list archive: