Home page logo
/

snort logo Snort mailing list archives

Re: Off-topic - VRT Blog, "Rise of citizen cyberwarrior", criticism of the security efforts by the government.
From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 23:33:20 -0500

On 11/29/2010 4:58 PM, Guise McAllaster wrote:
Hi Sourcefire, why did you pull the political rant on the VRT blog on
Nov 23 ranting about Howard Schmidt, the government, and other gems
titled "Rise of citizen cyberwarrior"?

Used to be here,
http://vrt-sourcefire.blogspot.com/2010/11/rise-of-citizen-cyberwarrior.html
with a cached version at http://www.security.nl/files/cache.aspx.htm

You anger one of your customers again and have to pull it?  I'd like to
think it could have been the inflammatory statements regarding the US
Government and the self-masturbatory statements about "cyberwarriors"
didn't bode too well coming from a "VRT blog" officially supported by
Sourcefire.

Can one masturbate anyone other than themselves?

*Web search*

Well shit. You learn something new everyday.

I do like this gem, 'The boots on the ground in this fight aren't combat
boots. They are Birkenstocks and Chucks.'

Birkenstocks? Chucks? I just fell into a time machine set for 1993.

I also enjoyed 'Besides, it is fun to watch them work on "Cyber Security
Awareness Month", which is about as effective as warning labels on
cigarettes.'

Agencies need to do something with that poster printing budget.

I'm curious, is the opinion stated in this VRT article, posted on the
VRT blog, the official opinion that Sourcefire has regarding the
involvement of government and other organized entities in the security
field?  I sure hope some of your customers didn't see that.

Hell, could have just been an accident and Olney confused the VRT blog
with Facebook, MySpace, or other Internet-exhibitionism sources of
self-pleasure (again).

As someone with a similar lack of buffer, and far less tact, I can
understand this action from both sides.

Yes, he's spot on with all observations. However, any text associated
with the "company" really does have to be worded carefully. Like when
Sun had (and sorta still has) blog space for any employee. It wasn't a
ticket allowing folks to run through the China store kicking over dishware.

This is why no agency or company I've ever worked for would dare give me
such a platform. Imagine the overtime generated for the lawyers, sales
team and marketing departments on damage control alone!

BTW Matt, nice name-drop for Adair :-)

Randy