Home page logo
/

snort logo Snort mailing list archives

Re: flowbits: netsenum
From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 17:52:54 -0400

On May 30, 2013, at 4:05 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:

 the fact that our environment it its own
distribution and not one of the big name brand one adds complication to the
process since they are distributed only in compiled form...

Let me also correct this statement.  We ship the large majority of SO rules in open form (meaning you can compile them
yourself).  There are very few rules out that are part of our NDA agreement to obfuscate the detection being done
through an SO.  We've only shipped one obfuscated rule (I think) in the past two years, and that's because its a zero
day that we've reported to the vendor.

The vast majority of SO rules you can download the source for (it's included in the tarball) and compile on your own
machine.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT