Home page logo
/

snort logo Snort mailing list archives

Re: Poor performance with Snort 2.9.4.6 under OpenBSD 5.3
From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 16:35:40 -0400

On Jun 20, 2013, at 4:29 PM, Markus Lude <markus.lude () gmx de> wrote:

Speaking of far behind: the only OpenBSD release for which the so_rules
from VRT come precomiled is one which isn't supported for more than 2
years now.

We'll take a look at that.

Keeping the package maintainers up to date has helped a bit  I see
things being updated more.

IMO things that would help:
- support snort releases for at least 6 months, better 9 or 12? With
 support I mean make up-to-date rules available for them.

Our EOL policy is here: http://www.snort.org/vrt/rules/eol_policy for those that don't know.  That being said, we
usually the highest patch in a thread for a year.  For example, we released 2.9.3.1 in August of 2012.  We'll be
supporting it into September of this year.

 As mentioned above you see how hard it is for you to keep up even
 with releases each 6 months.

We aren't going to stop updating the IDS.  We get yelled at if we do update, and we get yelled at if we don't.

- help maintainers to get their packages tested. Test reports are rare.
 At least there aren't those different output plugins / backend any
 more to test. That was quite a lot, especially with multiple archs.

What can we provide?