Home page logo
/

snort logo Snort mailing list archives

Re: Triggering a complex snort rule (packet forging)
From: Jamie Riden <jamie.riden () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 13:15:51 +0100

On 2 April 2013 12:13, Asiri Rathnayake <asiri.rathnayake () gmail com> wrote:

Dear All,

This may be a bit naive question but I couldn't find a definitive answer
on the web.

Let's say we have a rule of the following form:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"...";
flow:to_client,established; content:"..."; nocase; http_header;
metadata:service http; classtype:attempted-user; ...)

This rule will only be triggered on the return traffic from some server
(?). If I understand correctly, this means the client (a computer on the
HOME_NET) made a request to some server (EXTERNAL_NET) and this rule is
looking into the response from the server.

My question is, how can such a rule be tested? (I need to trigger the rule
repeatedly)

Wouldn't the easiest way be to set up a page on a remote webserver which
matches the signature (content:"") ? Then you could hit download as much as
you like, and you should get an alert.

thanks,
 Jamie
--
Jamie Riden / jamie () honeynet org / jamie.riden () gmail com
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jamieriden