Home page logo
/

snort logo Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can't Daemonize snort?
From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 12:51:57 -0600

On 2013-05-01 12:40, Mike Miller wrote:
I've compiled snort 2.9.4.6, PF_Ring from metaflows, and daq-0.6.2

If I run
/usr/local/bin/snort --nolock-pidfile -g snort -c
/usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf -y -i eth2 --daq-dir
/usr/local/lib/daq/ --daq pfri --daq-var clusterid=10

it works and logs as expected. If I add a '-D', snort execution
hangs.

This was working as recently as a few days ago, then stopped working.
I cannot run multiple instances, and I'm running into an issue were I
can't run snort as user 'snort' so that Barnyard2 can read the logs,
and if I run it as root, Barnyard2 can't see any records in the
universal2 logs.

Grrr, and it was working so WELL!

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest
Snort news!

Quick fix dump it to background:

/usr/local/bin/snort --nolock-pidfile -g snort -c
/usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf -y -i eth2 --daq-dir /usr/local/lib/daq/
--daq pfri --daq-var clusterid=10 &

James