Home page logo
/

snort logo Snort mailing list archives

Re: Network Variables
From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 08:15:56 -0400

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Seth Dunn <seth () d2ms com> wrote:

What is DAQ?  I have seen that, but have no idea what that is.

The DAQ is Snort's generalized interface for reading packets.  I missed
your Windows mention at the outset; you are using the pcap DAQ.

****

As far as my bpf file goes, if it is like this::****

** **

#not net 10.10.0.0/24 and not net 10.30.0.0/24****

not net 10.10.0.0/24 and dst host 10.75.45.1 && dst port 80 or not net
10.30.0.0/24 and dst host 10.75.45.1 && dst port 80****

It will fail with:: ****

Reading filter from bpf file: D:\Snort\etc\ignore2.bpf****

ERROR: short read D:\Snort\etc\ignore2.bpf (169 != 170)****

Fatal Error, Quitting..

This error text makes the issue clear.  There is a bug in the code which
requires that the whole file be read in one go.  If you always get the same
error (169 read out of 170) you can try deleting a character from the
comment line.  Otherwise, adding more comments at the end might work.  But
your best bet for now would be to put the comments directly in Snort's conf
and keep only the active BPF in your .bpf.  I'll file a bug to get the read
fixed.

Thanks
Russ

****

** **

If I remove the commented line, then snort starts fine.
If I try to have multiple lines in the file, (all being rules, no
comments) the it will fail with a similar error as above.
I have never seen a DAQ error.****

** **