Home page logo
/

snort logo Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule for initial TCP SYN packet
From: Thomas Hyslip <thomas.hyslip () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 15:09:22 -0500

HI Markus,

Thanks for the suggestion, but still doesn't work. I also tired, flags:S,CE;

Tom

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Markus Lude <markus.lude () gmx de> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 10:51:15AM -0500, Thomas Hyslip wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

I'm trying to write a rule to catch the first TCP packet for new sessions
that have the SYN flag set.  But, I'm not seeing anything.  If I remove
the
flag:S option i see everything, any suggestions? here is the rule I have
set now.  If I craft a packet with hping3, Snort alerts, but I thought
this
would catch all new TCP connections to webpages.

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> any 80 (msg:"egress filter tcp traffic to port
80 with syn flag set"; flow: stateless; flags:S; classtype:test;
sid:1000001; rev:1;)

does it work with  flags:S,12;  ?

Regards,
Markus