Home page logo
/

webappsec logo WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: "Forgot Password" function
From: <Matthew_Chalmers () bankone com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:50:14 -0400

Not having to call a helpdesk can save time and money. Plus users may need a password reset at 3am on a Sunday when the
helpdesk isn't staffed.

Sending a password in email is risky, compounded by the fact that many people download their mail using unencrypted POP
authentication. There are commercial solutions that send a password to the user's preregistered cell phone or pager,
which is arguably more secure than email, and the phone/pager is like a token only the user should have. Another
commercial solution records a voiceprint and a phone number during registration, so when the password is reset the
system calls the number and matches the voice to the print then a sampled voice gives the password.

In any case the system shouldn't be able to retrieve the password, it should have to reset it to something random, and
a time-out should be associated with it, so the account gets disabled if there's no successful login before the time is
up. Also the user should be forced to change the password upon successful login.

A cheap and easy method is to have the user pick one or more security question/answer pairs during registration, which
is mentioned in the OWASP Guide. But the user could pick silly things like "What color is the sky: blue" and anyone
could reset the user's password, which is why I don't necessarily agree with the OWASP advice of not giving the user a
list of questions to choose from.

This, however, may be no better than certain personally-identifiable bits of info like SSN--it's extra data that must
be stored and once someone knows it he/she can reset the user's password anytime. (The main advantage of random q/a
over PII is that nothing personal is at stake if the database is hacked and the q/a can be changed if needed.)

In any case it depends on who the user is, like internal or external. If it's a system for employees then you can
probably justify storing PII for self-service password reset. If it's a public webmail service then it depends on how
much you value your customers and their privacy...simply letting anyone who knows a username have a reset password sent
to an alternate, stored email may be fine.

--
Matthew Chalmers
Information Security