Home page logo
/

webappsec logo WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: ASP security in HTML pages
From: "Wolf, Yonah" <Yonah.Wolf () ujc org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:36:55 -0400

Martin,

 I am not quite sure what you are asking?

        Are you asking about 'Classic' asp? Classic ASP code is intertwined with HTML in a .ASP file. It is executed
server side. The end user cannot 'see' the ASP code, even if they look at the source because the code is executed at
run time and never sent to the browser. So long as your server and the original code is secure then end users can't see
the code.

        Are you talking about client-side VBScript/JavaScript that runs in the browser? If so, it is very hard to hide
that from the browser because the browser needs to be able to read it to execute the code.

        Or, are you talking about an ASP application that you plan on selling/deploying and putting on a clients'
server. And not wanting them to get access to the code? If this is the case, and you are using ASP.NET you can use the
code obfuscator to blur the code. If you're using classic ASP, I believe you are S.O.O.L.

HTH,
--Yonah