Home page logo
/

wireshark logo Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Default interface in the "front page"?
From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen () lurchi franken de>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 06:11:47 +0200

On Apr 8, 2013, at 2:22 AM, Jim Aragon wrote:

At 05:01 PM 4/7/2013, Guy Harris wrote:

On the front page, should Wireshark either select an interface as the
default, or select all of them by default?

If the user has not selected a default interface at Edit Preferences > Capture, I'd vote to have Wireshark select the
first interface listed. I would not select all interfaces. I think single-interface capture is still more common,
even on multiple interface systems.
I would prefer to follow what the user has configured. No default interface.

If it should do one of those, should it do that in the Capture ->
Options window as well?

Yes. Let's be consistent.
Agreed.

If it shouldn't do either of them, then, if no interfaces are
selected, should it disable the "Start" toolbar button and Capture ->
Start menu item, so that you have to select an interface in order to
use those to start a capture (the experimental Qt version does that),
or should it continue to allow them but pop up an error if none are selected?

If no interface is selected, then Start buttons--wherever found--should be grayed out. No sense letting the user
select an item that we know in advance will not work and will only generate an error. Start buttons should also be
grayed out if a default interface was selected, but the user subsequently unchecked all interfaces in Capture Options
or Capture > Interfaces.
Agreed.

Jim