Home page logo
/

wireshark logo Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Memory consumption in tshark
From: Dario Lombardo <dario.lombardo.ml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 17:07:11 +0200

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com> wrote:

Basically, but it's also more. If your capture contains a DNS packet
resolving a name in a certain way, and the system name resolver gives a
different answer, we prefer the DNS packet in the capture (since presumably
the capture was on some local network where that name resolves
differently). For this reason we can't just drop old cache entries unless
name resolution is disabled completely.

That's really interesting. This means that if a DNS packet with a fake
resolution is got, it can pollute the "cache".
I've triggered this behaviour in the attached pcap file. It appears that
I'm pinging google (in my svn wireshark), while actually I'm pinging a
private addres :).