Home page logo
/

wireshark logo Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: using preferences_common to deploy preferences across profiles
From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:10:25 -0700

On Jun 21, 2013, at 10:56 AM, Stuart Kendrick <skendric () fhcrc org> wrote:

I was imagining that I could create a preferences_common file
(c:\users\{username}\appdata\roaming\wireshark\preferences_common), add a few tool-bar filters:

####### Filter Expressions ########
gui.filter_expressions.label: Exclude-broadcast
gui.filter_expressions.enabled: TRUE
gui.filter_expressions.expr: not eth.ig==1
gui.filter_expressions.label: TAF
gui.filter_expressions.enabled: TRUE
gui.filter_expressions.expr: tcp.analysis.flags

And see those filters appear in /all/ of my profiles.

But this turns out not to work.  Is my imagination perhaps overactive?

Unfortunately, yes.

And I must instead add these Filter Expressions to /all/ the preferences files in all my profile directories?

And yes.

In another thread, I suggested

Would it be useful to allow multiple sets of coloring rules, not associated with a profile, and to have profiles
support having more than one set of coloring rules associated with them, evaluated in the order in which they're
listed?  We could then ship a simple "starter" set and include various "add-ons", and let the user choose which sets
they want.

If we had the notion of a "common" profile in addition to specific profiles, that might be another way to achieve what
I suggested.