Subject: x86/pv: _toggle_guest_pt() may not skip TLB flush for shadow mode guests
From: Jan Beulich <[email-masked]>

For shadow mode guests (e.g. PV ones forced into that mode as L1TF
mitigation, or during migration) update_cr3() -> sh_update_cr3() may
result in a change to the (shadow) root page table (compared to the
previous one when running the same vCPU with the same PCID). This can,
first and foremost, be a result of memory pressure on the shadow memory
pool of the domain. Shadow code legitimately relies on the original
(prior to commit 5c81d260c2 ["xen/x86: use PCID feature"]) behavior of
the subsequent CR3 write to flush the TLB of entries still left from
walks with an earlier, different (shadow) root page table.

Restore the flushing behavior, also for the second CR3 write on the exit
path to guest context when XPTI is active. For the moment accept that
this will introduce more flushes than are strictly necessary - no flush
would be needed when the (shadow) root page table doesn't actually
change, but this information isn't readily (i.e. without introducing a
layering violation) available here.

This is XSA-294.

Reported-by: XXX PERSON <XXX EMAIL>
Signed-off-by: Jan Beulich <[email-masked]>
Tested-by: Juergen Gross <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Andrew Cooper <[email-masked]>

diff --git a/xen/arch/x86/pv/domain.c b/xen/arch/x86/pv/domain.c
index 958c6e3..7973155 100644
--- a/xen/arch/x86/pv/domain.c
+++ b/xen/arch/x86/pv/domain.c
@@ -320,6 +320,8 @@ void toggle_guest_mode(struct vcpu *v)
 void toggle_guest_pt(struct vcpu *v)
 {
     const struct domain *d = v->domain;
+    struct cpu_info *cpu_info = get_cpu_info();
+    unsigned long cr3;
 
     if ( is_pv_32bit_vcpu(v) )
         return;
@@ -328,16 +330,28 @@ void toggle_guest_pt(struct vcpu *v)
     update_cr3(v);
     if ( d->arch.pv_domain.xpti )
     {
-        struct cpu_info *cpu_info = get_cpu_info();
-
         cpu_info->root_pgt_changed = true;
         cpu_info->pv_cr3 = __pa(this_cpu(root_pgt)) |
                            (d->arch.pv_domain.pcid
                             ? get_pcid_bits(v, true) : 0);
     }
 
-    /* Don't flush user global mappings from the TLB. Don't tick TLB clock. */
-    write_cr3(v->arch.cr3);
+    /*
+     * Don't flush user global mappings from the TLB. Don't tick TLB clock.
+     *
+     * In shadow mode, though, update_cr3() may need to be accompanied by a
+     * TLB flush (for just the incoming PCID), as the top level page table may
+     * have changed behind our backs. To be on the safe side, suppress the
+     * no-flush unconditionally in this case. The XPTI CR3 write, if enabled,
+     * will then need to be a flushing one too.
+     */
+    cr3 = v->arch.cr3;
+    if ( shadow_mode_enabled(d) )
+    {
+        cr3 &= ~X86_CR3_NOFLUSH;
+        cpu_info->pv_cr3 &= ~X86_CR3_NOFLUSH;
+    }
+    write_cr3(cr3);
 
     if ( !(v->arch.flags & TF_kernel_mode) )
         return;