Home page logo
/

Politech mailing list archives

FC: Which states currently fingerprint drivers (Georgia already does)
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:56:00 -0500

[I got scores of responses from list members -- thanks! Below is a representative sample. --Declan]

---

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:54:51 -0800
To: declan () well com
From: Margie Wylie <margie.wylie () newhouse com>
Subject: Re: FC: Will the state of Georgia fingerprint all drivers?

>the State
>or Georgia plans to fingerprint everyone in the state who applies for a
>drivers licenses.  I thought that only criminals and people who work in
>high security jobs got fingerprinted.  Is Georgia the first state to do
>this kind of thing?

Hardly. The State of California has been fingerprinting drivers for years now. I'm not exactly sure how many, but at least four in my personal experience.

According to the AAMVA another 8 states plus DC use biometric identifiers on their licenses.

   / Margie Wylie            /  +1 415.647.5287 Phone          /
  / National Correspondent  /  +1 415.637.5003 Cell           /
 / Newhouse News Service   /  +1 415.647.5297 Fax            /
/ http://www.newhouse.com / cyberspace and technology beat  /
What have I written lately? http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=%22margie+wylie%22

---