BreachExchange mailing list archives

Australian data breach notification laws will not be passed in 2015


From: Audrey McNeil <audrey () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 18:16:51 -0600

http://www.zdnet.com/article/australian-data-breach-notification-laws-will-not-be-passed-in-2015-brandis/

Despite the Joint Parliamentary Committee on Intelligence and Security
recommending that Australia have data breach notification laws in place
before the end of 2015, Australian Attorney-General George Brandis told the
Senate on Tuesday that laws would not be passed this year.

Responding to questioning from Greens Senator Scott Ludlam, Brandis
corrected the record at the end of Senate question time to say data breach
legislation would only be introduced to Parliament this year.

"Senator Ludlam, you asked what the government's intentions were in
relation to legislation for a mandatory data breach notification scheme,
and as I recall, my answer was that the government intends to legislate for
such a scheme this year. I should have said the government intends to
introduce legislation before the end of this year," Brandis said.

Earlier in the day, Ludlam had called for any data breach notification
legislation to be brought forward in light of Parliament having less than
15 sitting days remaining.

"One of the concessions that was made by government is they would introduce
mandatory data breach notification laws by the end of the year, so if
somebody loses control of your private material, they are obliged to tell
you," he said.

"There are only 15 sitting days left in this calendar year, in this
parliamentary year, and there is no sign of that bill."

Ludlam said he also expects the data retention window to go beyond the two
years currently mandated.

"If it is still this Attorney-General in a couple of years, I fear they
will make it work," he said. "My prediction -- they will keep adding
agencies, services, types of data. They will ask for five years, not two.

"While we are on the subject of predictions, there will be data breaches,
peoples' lives will be ruined. Whether it be high profile individuals who
have material spilt into the public domain or the more large scale data
breaches where thousands or millions of peoples' material is accessed.

"It is a disaster waiting to happen."

During question time, Brandis also said that the AU$131 million set aside
for implementing data retention systems to store all Australians'
telecommunications data for two years for warrantless access by law
enforcement would favour small businesses.

"The outlay of that AU$131 million has been structured so that it is
directed, in particular, to the smaller ISPs, to small businesses, because
we acknowledge that the burden on smaller businesses, particularly in
relation to their cash flows of compliance with these obligations will fall
more heavily, proportionally more heavily, than upon big business," the
Attorney-General said.

"That is, in the government's judgment, a reasonable contribution to those
costs."

Last month, Internet Australia had warned that the cost of implementing
data retention systems could send small ISPs to the wall.

"[There is a] very real prospect of ISPs going out of business if they are
not adequately reimbursed for the costs of implementation and the ongoing
operating costs incurred in complying with this questionable law," Internet
Australia CEO Laurie Patton said at the time.

"There is a risk that some, perhaps many, of the smaller ISPs will simply
go out of business as a result of this new law. This is especially
unfortunate for rural internet consumers who rely on local ISPs because
they offer a specialised and personalised service."

Brandis' intent to target SMBs is unlikely to be welcomed by Telstra, which
said that it would be looking to recover its costs as well.

"We're very conscious of regulatory costs incurred, and will absolutely
recover them as we can," Telstra chairman Catherine Livingstone said at the
company's annual general meeting on Tuesday.

Livingstone revealed that Telstra has had its plans for its data retention
implementation approved.

"We are pleased to say that Telstra is one of the few, if not only, I
think, telecommunication providers that has submitted a data retention plan
and had it approved by the government," she said.

"We are organised to do this and we will implement it over 18 months, and
of course, we will work with the government following through on their
undertaking to reimburse us for the costs incurred."

Under the data-retention laws passed in March, all customer call records,
location information, IP addresses, billing information, and other data
will be stored for two years, accessible without a warrant by
law-enforcement agencies.

In February, the Joint Parliamentary Committee on Intelligence and Security
report recommended data breach notification be in place prior to a data
retention scheme taking effect.

"The Committee considers that a mandatory data breach notification scheme
would provide a strong incentive for service providers to implement robust
security measures to protect data retained under the data retention
regime," the report said.
_______________________________________________
Dataloss Mailing List (dataloss () datalossdb org)
Archived at http://seclists.org/dataloss/
Unsubscribe at http://lists.osvdb.org/mailman/listinfo/dataloss
For inquiries regarding use or licensing of data, e-mail
        sales () riskbasedsecurity com 

Supporters:

Risk Based Security (http://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/)
YourCISO is an affordable SaaS solution that provides a comprehensive information security program that ensures focus 
on the right security.  If you need security help or want to provide real risk reduction for your clients contact us!

Current thread: